- Interruption can be triggered by CPU. For example, a key is pressed on keyboard.
- CPU and RAM do not need drivers.
Program Counter (PC)
Program counter (PC) is a componenet of CPU. It points to an address (in main memory) that contains the next instruction to be executed.
The register file is a set of registers (storage devices) of word length.
Arithmetic/Logic Unit (ALU)
Arithmetic/logic unit (ALU) is a componenet of CPU. The ALU do operations on the specified registers.
Bus interface is a componenet of CPU. It accepts the information from the buses. For example, a key is pressed.
Examples of CPU instructions
- Load: Copy from main memory to register.
- Store: Copy from register to main memory.
- Operate: Copy the content of 2 registers to ALU and performan an operation and write the result to one of the registers.
- Jump: Extract a word from a instruction and put into PC.